Middle Brighton Veterinary Centre
762 Hampton St
Brighton, VIC, 3186

enquiries@middlebrightonvet.com.au
www.middlebrightonvet.com.au
Phone: 03 9592 9811
Banner image

Welcome to April! As many of you would have noticed the weather has been a little bit crazy recently and this has had an effect on our pets as well as us! Somedays we just dont know what to wear and imagine if you were an animalwith a thick long coat over the recent hot weather - I dont think they know if they should shed their coat or grow a new one! Hopefully now we will settle in to some nice Autumn weather.

With Easter rapidly approaching be mindful of the dangers to our pets - chocolate as well as sultanas and raisins found in hot cross buns are extremely toxic to dog and we would probably say that the later are worse. Mainly because they silently destroy the kidneys over a few days - so make sure you keep your pets safe this Easter. If you are one to give flowers rather than eggs at Easter, then always make sure that if a cat is involved that the bunch does not contain lilies as all parts of the plant are extremely toxic to cats.

Speaking of Easter we have reduced hours over the holiday period - 

Good Friday - CLOSED

Easter Saturday - OPEN 10 am till 2 pm - a $35 Public Holiday surchage will apply to all Vet consultations  & visits

Easter Sunday & Monday  - CLOSED

In Melbourne we are fortunate to have a number of excellent Emergency Centres that are able to care for your pet if needed when we are unavailable.

We wish you all a very happy and safe Easter and don't forget to check out our recent Puppy School Graduates - or on our FB page.

Spider

Our star patient, Spider in for a check after his recent brush with rat poison!

Contents of this newsletter

01  Annual Easter Bunny alert

02  Rat bait ingestion - what you need to know

03  Top three tips for preventing rat bait toxicity

04  Cushing's disease case study

05  Inspiration: an indoor cat fantasyland

01 Annual Easter Bunny alert
SetWidth170-iStock-97866307
SetWidth170-iStock-517473056

As the Easter Bunny gears up to make his deliveries, it is our job to remind you keep ALL chocolate out of paw's reach.

Our canine friends are specifically designed to seek out any morsel of chocolate - big or small, wrapped or unwrapped!

The problem is, chocolate contains a derivative of caffeine called theobromine and dogs have trouble digesting this ingredient.

Scarily, theobromine ingestion can be fatal in some dogs. 

Watch out for:

  • Hyperactivity
  • Tremors, panting and a racing heart
  • Vomiting and diarrhoea
  • Seizures

As a general rule, the darker the chocolate, the more toxic it is - but if your dog finds your Easter egg stash, it's best to call us immediately as not only is it the type of chocolate that is important but also the size of your pet.

In most cases, if we are able to make your dog vomit we can prevent any nasty follow on effects. 

Don't forget: sultanas and raisins can cause acute kidney failure in dogs so you'll also need to keep hot cross buns off their menu this Easter. 

If you are worried about your pet this Easter you should ask us for advice. 

02 Rat bait ingestion - what you need to know
SetWidth170-iStock-507209918
SetWidth170-iStock-140268253

The poison used to kill rats and mice interferes with blood clotting. These products are just as toxic to dogs and cats, and alarmingly your pets may even seek these poisons out.

What to do if your pet finds rat bait:

If you know that your pet has eaten rat bait, have them checked a vet as soon as possible. If seen immediately, your pet can be made to vomit which reduces toxin absorption. Sometimes blood tests, or administration of an antidote may be necessary.

If your pet is showing signs of bleeding, they may require supportive care, transfusion of blood products and the antidote.

Clinical signs are usually present anywhere from 1 to 7 days after ingestion (depending on type and amount of poison ingested).

How to know if your pet has eaten rat bait:

  • Your pet may be quiet or lethargic
  • A cough or breathing problems (if they bleed into the lungs)
  • They may collapse
  • Sometimes there will be visible signs of bleeding (in urine, nose bleeds)

If you think your pet might have eaten rat bait, please phone us immediately for advice.

03 Top three tips for preventing rat bait toxicity
SetWidth170-iStock-3

Sadly, we often see pets that have eaten rat bait. This can be extremely upsetting especially when ingestion can often be prevented. 

Here are our top tips for prevention rat bait toxicity: 

1. The first, and probably most obvious, is do not have rodenticide products on your property. And what about your neighbour's place? If you've moved to a new property, have you thoroughly checked it is safe? Don't forget to check the roof space and also under the house.

2. Ensure that places you visit with your pet (friend's houses, holiday rentals) are rat bait free. That means always check for rat bait before letting your pet loose in a new environment.

3. If you must have rat bait, please store packets of these poisons in a secure place away from animals and children.

Don't forget that your pet may actively seek out rat bait - dogs have knack for getting under the house and cats love to explore the ceiling.

We are very happy to report that gorgeous Spider, who was in last month's newsletter after suffering from rat poison is well on the way to a full recovery! 

Remeber we are always here to offer advice and help - phone us if you are worried.  

04 Cushing's disease case study
SetWidth170-iStock-104787051
SetWidth170-iStock-521624342

Jimmy is a 9 year old Maltese cross. This boisterous little man was thirstier than normal and had suddenly started to wee in the house. His owners noticed he had a bit of a pot belly but had put this down to Jimmy getting older.

A veterinary examination was just what the doctor ordered and a general blood and urine testing revealed that Jimmy may have an endocrine disorder known as Cushing's disease. A number of additional blood tests & an abdonimal ultrasound were then done to confirm that Jimmy did indeed have Cushings's disase

Cushing's is a common endocrine disease seen in dogs. It is slow and progressive and is caused by the overproduction of the stress hormone cortisol.

Cortisol is a normal hormone produced by the adrenal gland and is essential for normal body function. However in some animals this gland produces too much cortisol and this can have a serious impact on your pet’s quality of life.

Sometimes Cushing's can be caused by an external source of cortisol, such as the long term administration of cortisone.

Common symptoms of Cushing's disease include:

  • Excessive thirst, appetite and urination
  • Pot belly
  • Skin problems, thin skin and hair loss
  • Heat intolerance and excessive panting
  • Lethargy

Jimmy has now commenced daily medication and requires close and careful monitoring but he is thankfully doing very well.

This is just another reason why we need to perform regular health checks on your pet. If we are able to detect and commence treatment early we can slow the progression of diseases and help your pet live a longer and healthier life.

If you have any concerns about your pet, please call us to arrange a check up. 

05 Inspiration: an indoor cat fantasyland

Ever wonder if 15 cats could live happily together? This video is proof that they can.

We think this house is pretty amazing and it just goes to show that cats can live harmoniously together if they are provided with the right environment and enough litter trays! We also love that all of these cats have been rescued from a shelter.

This heartwarming story will bring a smile to your face and might even inspire you to do some renovating - check it out!

Burmese cat looking at camera